Fillet of Cod with Hazelnut Topping, Wilted Spinach & New Potatoes
1.5 kg Fresh Cod Fillet
Ingredients for Mushroom Duxelle:
500 g Button Mushrooms
50 g Butter
Ingredients for Fish Sauce:
500 ml Dry White Wine
500 ml Noilly Prat
500 ml Fish Stock
1 ltr Double Cream
Sprig of Thyme
Ingredients for Hazelnut Topping:
175 g Fresh Breadcrumbs
40 g Gruyere Cheese, grated
50 g Fresh Parsley
5 g Fresh Thyme
50 g Toasted and Ground Hazelnuts
125 g Unsalted Butter
Spinach and New Potatoes for garnish
1. To make the Hazelnut crust, place all the ingredients into a Food Processor and process until thoroughly mixed. Spread out on to a greaseproof-paper-lined tray and open-freeze.
2. To make the Mushroom Duxelles, chop the mushrooms and shallots finely and sweat in the butter until all the liquid has evaporated. Then drain on kitchen cloth to remove any liquid. Leave to one side until later.
3. Now make the fish sauce by peeling and finely chopping the shallots. Sweat off in a little oil, ensuring there is no colour and add the sprig of thyme. Add the white wine and Noilly Prat, reduce by half and add the fish stock. Reduce by half again and add the cream. Bring to the boil to create a velvet finish.
4. Season the cod and add the mushroom duxelles to the top. Top this with the hazelnut crust, then place on a butter paper in a shallow ovenproof dish. Place in the oven preheated to 220°C and cook for 10 minutes.
5. To serve, place the cod on a warm plate and pour the fish sauce around. Serve with wilted spinach and new potatoes.